Student Assistance Policy
As then President of the Rotary Club of Kelowna and Chairman of the RCK Scholarship and Bursary Committee, Gary Bennett introduced the concept of the Strive Scholarship Program to the Rotary Club and the community in the fall of 2006. Since that time hundreds of students have benefited from this program.
The Gary Bennett family, through their fund at the Central Okanagan Foundation, offers financial assistance in the form of scholarships to students who have overcome significant challenges to graduate and qualify for any accredited Canadian post-secondary institution for a full year program.
- The student must be in regular attendance at one of the following schools; Kelowna Secondary School, Rutland Senior Secondary School, Okanagan Mission Secondary School, or Central Programs and Services.
- To receive funding, the student must have graduated from one of the above high schools.
- The student must have overcome some significant challenge to achieve graduation and to qualify for an accredited Canadian post-secondary institution.
- Evidence of the student doing voluntary work at school or in the community can be a criterion for selection.
The maximum amount of scholarship will be up to $1,000 for the first year tuition fees of a local student attending any accredited Canadian post-secondary institution for a full year program. For a list of accredited Canadian post-secondary institutions, please use the following weblink to the Canada Revenue Agency website that lists all Canadian registered charities.
Recipients will be chosen by a committee of School District 23 teaching staff. Not all applicants who fit the criteria may get financial assistance as the Fund’s financial ability to provide the assistance is limited.
DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED:
1. The fully completed (in ink) GARY BENNETT FAMILY FUND STRIVE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION FORM; (Please see your school counselor to receive a copy of this form).
2. The letter of reference from your school principal or counselor on school letterhead.
Documentation must be given to the school counselor no later that May 7th.